Ground beef bowl with sweet potato, kale, red onion and mushrooms
You will absolutely love this delicious little bowl. It’s a healthy mix of spiced up ground beef and kale with mushrooms, onions, and sweet potatoes that make this an easy and filling dinner any night of the week and is great for meal prep. Upgrade your ground beef with this easy and tasty proteins and greens bowl that is super simple and delicious!
Inspiration and thoughts
When I’m a bit too tired and hungry to think of a specific recipe, my go-to dinner is always a meat and veggies bowl. Meat and veggie bowls are easy and quick to make, can have so much variety, and include ingredients that I always have in the fridge.
Roasted veggies are one of my favorite dinners or side dishes in general because they’re so easy and you can pretty much roast any vegetable on hand. Sweet potatoes are one of my favorites, because they get a delicious crispness in the oven that I love. Roasting in the oven is also great because once you pop in your tray, you can work on something else for your meal. This is exactly what I did for this one. This ground beef bowl with veggies is especially great when you’re hungry but want a quick meal that is still healthy and filling.
How it’s make, notes, substitutions
Again, this one is short and sweet. Start with one off with preheating your oven to 400 F and prepare an oven pan. Get those veggies (except the kale and garlic, which will go with the ground beef) chopped and spread them over the pan. Take care to make sure you aren’t overcrowding them. This is important, because you want to make sure the veggies have enough time to roast and get nice and crispy, especially the sweet potatoes. Add the olive oil and soy sauce first and then 1 teaspoon each of paprika and cumin, then salt and pepper generously over the veggies and use your hands or tongs to mix everything together. Pop that in the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
Wait to start on the ground beef until the veggies are about half way done and have been cooking for about ten minutes. Pour a bit of olive oil into a cast iron or medium skillet and heat on medium high. When the oil is nice and hot add the garlic and cook for just 1-2 minutes until browned, then add the ground beef. Use a spatula to break up the ground beef while you mix it in with the garlic. Add the rest of the paprika and cumin and salt and pepper to the mix while the ground beef cooks, stirring occasionally. It will take about 7-10 minutes for the ground beef to brown and become cooked through. When it’s done, stir in the chopped kale and fold it into the ground beef mix for a few minutes, until the kale is well combined and bright green.
When the veggies in the oven are done, mix them around on the pan with tongs to get all of the oils and spices mixed together and to coat every last veggie. To serve, add the ground beef kale mix into bowls and top generously with the roasted veggies. Garnish with crumbled goat cheese and freshly chopped cilantro and you are ready to enjoy this tasty dish!
Ground beef bowl with sweet potato, kale, red onion, and mushrooms
- One medium sweet potato chopped into small cubes
- Four large leaves of kale or 2.5 cups of pre-cut kale; chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- One small red onion chopped into small chunks
- one 8 oz package of mushrooms shitake or mixed variety are my favorite!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- salt and pepper
- Garnish: Crumbled goat cheese and chopped cilantro for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put the red onions, sweet potatoes, and mushrooms onto a prepared oven pan.
- To the veggies add the olive oil and soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste and 1 teaspoon each of the paprika and cumin. Use tongs or your hands to mix everything together and bake for 20 minutes.
- When there are about 10 minutes left on the veggies, start the ground beef. Put a bit of olive oil into a pan or cast iron and heat on medium heat. When it is nice and hot, add the garlic to the pan until it is browned, just a minute or two. Turn the heat to medium high and add the ground beef to the pan, using a wooden spoon or spatula to break the ground beef into pieces. Add salt, pepper, paprika and cumin to the ground beef and mix together while it is cooking until it is browned, about 7-10 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to low and add the kale to the mix, folding it in until the kale has wilted and is mixed in.
- When the ground beef-kale mix is done, turn off the stove and check on your veggies.
- Mix them together on the oven pan to make sure and get all of the spices, juices, and oils off of the pan.
- To serve, add the ground beef-kale mix to each bowl and top with the veggies. Enjoy!